[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT and Subversion comparison

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon May 16 16:59:03 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> You're updating the files anyway - the comment isn't adding more than a
> tiny fraction to the processing time.

It's the duplicated information that I was mostly pointing out.

> The rivalry between OSS projects (hopefully friendly) will mean that
> features will tend to be picked up by projects and they'll be following
> each other, more or less.  That's healthy.  Within that, users will
> switch and that's fine too.

No question.  I don't want to in any way get into an argument about
which project is "better" than the others.  I was just pointing out some
the design differences that seem important to me and the way I work.

Personally, I find myself more productive with Subversion especially
with the SVK frontend:

	http://svk.elixus.org/

than I was with CVS.  I am mirroring half a dozen repositories with SVK
(CVS and Subversion, plus vainly trying to get the Perforce Perl
repository mirrored into Subversion), and easily maintaining local
changes with almost no difficulty managing vendor branches and merges.
A large part of that is the fantatistic SVK software, but that was only
possible because of the strong framework that Subversion provides.

I hope you continue to improve CVSNT and I will try and keep track of
the development even after I finish converting over to Subversion...

John