[cvsnt] Re: Keyword Expansion Help

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 16 23:06:17 BST 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:47:47 -0700, Glen Starrett <grstarrett at cox.net>
wrote:

>> You would probably be better handling it on the client - have a program
>> that runs after update/checkout and modifies all the binaries with their
>> current version number, based on CVS/Entries.
>
>Better yet -- A script that runs just before commit that increments an
>internal revision number (not necessarily matching the CVS revision).
>Extract that info after the commit with the CVS version number (and
>maybe a MD5 sum too for good order) and store it and you have a
>cross-reference that you can use to look it up later.
>
>That assumes that Oracle Forms developer supports some sort of API where
>you can automate the incrementing of those numbers.

He said in the beginning that he has written a program that can
manipulate the contents of the files in the "right" way, so there is
probably no need for a regular Oracle API.
I think that the suggestion you have put forward is doable, it would
probably work something like this:

1. In commitinfo
Here the aforementioned program goes into action by locating the
previous value of the "magic" number in the file submitted. This can
be done inside the temp dir. The program then increments this number
in some way (simple inc or getting a new value from some kind of
databbase). Saves it back into the file in temp. (This measn that the
file committed by the user actually is changed before it reaches the
CVS repository.)
Then exit with 0 result so CVSNT can continue.

2. In postcommit or loginfo
Now grab the file again with the special program and read the magic
number *and* the CVS revision, which at this point is available.
Store the combination away into a searchable database or textfile. You
may even have this text file in the CVS module if you run postcommit
because the postcommit can edit the file and then commit it to CVS.

With this scheme there will be a searchable database or file where the
magic identifier in the Oracle files can be matched to CVS revisions
for retrieval if need be.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)