[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT gets more and more unstable (too much releases)

Bernhard Merkle nospm-news at merkleonline.de
Mon May 23 08:14:15 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> I strongly believe in "Release early, release often".  That way bugs get
> fixed quickly, and those that want to follow the bleeding edge can do
> so.  The unstable/testing versions get upgraded as soon as I have a
> collection of things ready to test.  That can be several releases a day
> if I want it to be, although it normally isn't.

releas early, release often is ok and I like also the XP thoughts. :-)
However, then we should also follow the testing XP principles. Bugs will
always be there, but i think we need more testcases to catch them as
early as possible. Versionsystems are like a backup system, and i can
not afford to have bugs that loose data or corrupt them.

The problem i have is, that lots of users were asking in the past "what
was the last stable release" so this is an indications that it is NOT
clear, what the last stable release was.

It is also complicated to search after known bugs or fixed bugs, because
we have no tracking system at the moment (see my other postings).