[cvsnt] Re: timestamp for binary files (update -t)

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue May 24 12:19:57 BST 2005

Bernhard Merkle wrote:

> I want to have the following behaviour during checkout/update with cvs
>
> - all text files should have the "normal" cvs timestamp
> - all binary files should have the checkin timestamp (cvs update -t)
>
> how can I get this behaviour ? I thought about .cvsrc and .cvswrappers but
> - .cvsrc is global and can not differ filenames/extensiona
> - .cvswrappers does not know about update -t

Maybe a two step (shell) script that first does a normal checkout/update,
then does a -t update on some selected extensions? Not really the same
thing as doing it within cvs, and probably a bit clumsy, but anyway...

Could be a bit less clumsy (and more transparent) -- but more effort
initially -- if you routed all calls to cvs.exe through that script, parsed
the arguments there, did whatever additional processing you want to do with
certain cvs commands, and passed the rest straight through.

That possibly could be enhanced to a general cvs.exe enhancement, where
people can add their own cvs command enhancements without having to extend
the source and build cvs.

Gerhard