[cvsnt] Restricted access privileges to users for different folderson CV S Server

Jari Ahonen jah at progress.com
Wed May 25 13:22:31 BST 2005

> We need to set seperate access rights (r/w/n) to different
> users within the repository. we have tried chacl command, but
> it does not work. Can anyone give us the correct syntax for
> the chacl command.

It does work and the syntax is in the help file.

The trick is that by default everyone has full access so you first
need to specify a default ACL that denies this full access and then
add any user/group specific ACLs permitting access.

For example:
cvs chacl -a noread,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol
cvs chacl -u groupname -a read,write,create,tag,control
cvs chacl -u username -a read

This will set up deny-everything defaults with read-only for user
"username" and full access to group "groupname".

- Jari