[cvsnt] stopping access to cvsnt

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon May 30 23:51:27 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> What I meant was this, which is how I believe it works:
> writers file:
> will contain users that are allowed to both read and write
>
> readers file:
> will contain users allowed to read but not write
> A user present in the writers file is automatically granted read
> permission (no use with a write only access, right?).
>
> With this setup I do believe that anyone not listed in one of these
> files will be disallowed any access to CVS at all.

Not quite... from http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Read-only-access.html

"If readers exists, and this user is listed in it, then she gets
read-only access. Or if writers  exists, and this user is NOT listed in
it, then she also gets read-only access (this is true even if readers
exists but she is not listed there). Otherwise, she gets full read-write
access."

readers and writers control write access to the repository.  Read access
is assumed at this point (subject to filesystem permissions and, in
cvsnt, ACLs).

You can limit users by using SystemAuth=no and explicitly listing them
in CVSROOT/passwd (for sspi just the name field is used).