[cvsnt] Re: how to get the branch information before

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Nov 7 22:40:00 GMT 2005

cvssteve at diablo-technologies.com wrote:
> a) The directory name used prior to altering the cvs repository
>    when that directory is added
>    Note: "cvs add <dir>" immediately modifies the repository
>          (i.e. doesn't require a commit). Also aborting
>          "cvs add <dir>" in precommand still leaves a CVS
>          directory behind in the client side called "<dir>/CVS"

It's impossible to sensibly abort 'cvs add' in any cvs version at the
moment - if anything it's a 2.6 enhancement as it'll require a few
changes to the way add works (on the client side too, so you'd have to
restrict to 2.6 clients when this happens).

> b) The file and branch name used for each file before it is commited.
>    Note: commitinfo and precommand do not provide this info
>          (as Bo described below).

The tag information is in the current directory when commitinfo is
called (I'm surprised Bo didn't mention this).