[cvsnt] cvsnt and chroot jail help

Dianne Chen diana_chen23 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 17:33:04 GMT 2005

Hi list!

Here are specifics:

* Linux server running RHEL3.0
* cvsnt 2.0.58d
* users connect via ssh with TortoiseCVS or SmartCVS
on PCs

I want to prevent users from opening shell window,
cd-ing into repository, and making change to
repository. I want all changes to repository thru
cvsnt only. (I tell users why to do this - now I want
to make sure it happen. I do not swing "cluebat" well.
:(    )

I have done my googling, and found bit more help for
cvs than cvsnt. The docs within cvsnt are not very
long, and I now look for more info.

How can I prevent users from directly access
repository thru shell window? Is this what chroot is
for - to restrict commands that user can execute
within shell?

Or does running cvsnt in chroot-jail solve problem?
(or does this only prevent running of scripts?)

For running cvsnt in chroot-jail, are there any URLs
that describe steps? I know about the
/etc/cvsnt/PServer.example file, and it looks like you
create a directory /tmp within the jail, but what is
done with the existing repository? What other steps
are required?

Any pointers or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
DC