[cvsnt] Re: Authorization failed: rejected access to X by user Y

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Nov 15 19:26:31 GMT 2005

Randy McCharles wrote:
> I've looked through the CVS documentation and see that this is a
> generic error indicating that the user failed authentication, even
> though the same user can log onto the server with administrative
> privileges.

Check the event log - it'll have a login failure for the user with a
reason.  Windows 2003 is fairly locked down so may beed some configuration.

Use of pserver is not recommended due to the security issues, so unless
you have software that doesn't support anything else it's best avoided.
  SSPI is is simpler to setup and easier to use in a purely Windows
environment (since it uses the existing domain credentials).

> While I am unfamiliar with SSH, I am wondering if some feature of
> 2003 may be missing or some security setting misconfigured, thereby
> preventing CVSNT from authenticating correctly.

Windows does not support SSH out of the box, although there are 3rd
party products you can get that will add the functionality.