[cvsnt] Re: tag vs rtag

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Nov 18 15:24:56 GMT 2005

Papada, Andrew Joseph     CAR wrote:

> I've been reading the documenation over and over but I'm a little
> foggy on the difference between tag vs. rtag.  Can some elaborate for
> me?  I appreciate it.

Put bluntly, Tag tags the files in your sandbox while RTag tags the
files in your repository.

When used without -r or -D option, Tag will tag exactly the currently
checked out revision of each file, no matter if it's outdated or on a
branch. RTag without -r or -D will always tag the HEAD revisions of the
specified module. You should thus take care to always use -r or -D when
using RTag as otherwise checkins from other users might already have
replaced the revisions you originally wanted to tag in the meantime.

Also, even though this is actually implied in what I've written so far
it's probably noteworthy to say that RTag can be used entirely without
having a checked out working copy.
Another strong point of RTag is the ability to tag virtual modules in a
single step. That simply isn't possible with the Tag command.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org