[cvsnt] Re: .cvsignore problem

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Nov 21 13:19:37 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> Thanks! Is the .cvsignore file format documented somewhere? Or is this the
>> only thing I ever need to know about it? :)
>>
> It gets parsed in the same way as adding -I lines to the command line.
>
> ! on its own is treated differently to ! a the start of a filename - the
> second one is known as a temporary reset in the code... I can't actually
> find it documented anywhere though so I'd have to do some digging to
> find out what the difference is.
>
> Since it's a regular expression you might be able to add the file by
> using that eg. [!]TODO

What kind of regex is it? To me, it doesn't seem to be one. Here's what I
found:
- Works: ?TODO, *TODO (but both ignore other names also)
- Doesn't work: [!]TODO, \!TODO, !TODO, .TODO

Another observation is that \!TODO and !TODO (but not [!]TODO) seem to
cancel /all/ other ignore lines, so that even the CVS directory gets shown
as unknown.

To me, this looks like ? and * are treated as the usual shell placeholders
and \ is treated as escape character. [] don't seem to be special
characters, and any time a ! is at the beginning of the line (escaped or
not), all previous (internal and external) ignore lines get lost.

So what's the definite way to ignore (only) a file or directory with a name
that starts with "!"? Is there a way to "escape" the special meaning of
cancelling previous ignore lines? Or are names starting with "!" that need
to be ignored simply a no-no?

Thanks,
Gerhard