[cvsnt] mirror/synchronize cvs repositories (CVSNTUpd) ?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Nov 25 06:42:22 GMT 2005

Bernhard,

Just a quick note from the commercial side of CVSNT.

Mirroring is quite simple and we do it internally (and just as well
since each of our servers has had disk crashes in the past 12 months).

All pro support (level 2 and higher) customers receive all the software
they need to do this.  It doesn't actually say that on the web site
though - hopefully will soon.

Synchronizing is not currently recommended.  After analyzing over a
hundred different commercial requests for this - every time we found
there was a better solution. CVS was designed to work over a WAN very
well - so it does not suffer from the bandwidth problems that other
systems do that need these synchoronisation features.

Please post the business case for your question, then people with the
experience of solving similar issues can recommend a technical solution.
What business problem are you attempting to solve (or considering
solving) by using synchronisation?

Someone in this thread mentions distributed repositories.  Just a point
of semantics: distributed repositories are great - but synchronizing
centralised repositories is not the same.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett