[cvsnt] merge error/feature when merging to branch and back

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:06:26 GMT 2005

> (...)
> On deployment branch file I do wincvs update with merge option
> difference between revision 1.8 and 1.9.
> This works perfect.
> Some time later, all changes made on deployment branch is merged to main branch.
> (...)
> For file1.cs changes from 1.6 to 1.8 is removed from main branch.
> That is not what I want. I was very surprised by this.

Your problem is that cvsnt marks the merge-from flag even when merging
differences between two revisions. You could have erased the
merge-from flag by doing (i.e.) an update with no parameters on the
file.
Unfortunately I don't know whether it's possible to erase a
mergepoint... If there isn't, you could merge the branchpoint revision
to your branch, and then overwrite the resulting file with the branch
file =D

> After my last merge, I have more then 300 changes files, so it is not
> an option to check each file.
> (...)

Sure it's not an option, it's a _need_. How come you can even consider
commiting changes without checking the code? Unless of course you mean
you're not going to merge at all.

You could execute 'cvs status' to pin down what files really changed,
and you probably need to enforce a policy inside your team to always
merge fixes back to trunk immediately (yeah, I know it can be a PITA
to get some people to play nice...)

Regards,
Flávio