[cvsnt] mirror/synchronize cvs repositories (CVSNTUpd) ?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Nov 28 22:19:14 GMT 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

>> The repository should be at the supplyer site, as the do a lot of ci/co.
>>
> And why do you think this is necessary at all?

I don't know about the OP's case, but one reason why I might think about a
mirrored repository at some time is that a local repository can speed up
diffs quite a bit. This may be one reason for distributed teams to have
mirrored read-only servers. (It's actually the only one I can think of, but
it could be enough of a reason.)

Generally, it seems that it's not so much the ci/co/up traffic that
determines where to best place the server, it's the diff traffic. The way I
work, I can always run the co/up traffic in the background and do something
useful while it completes, so the time it takes is not that relevant.
Similarly, ci traffic is usually limited by the time it takes me to write
commit comments -- before I finish the next commit comment, the previous
commit has gone a few times around the globe :)  And if it's a big batch
commit, the same applies as to co/up traffic: I can do something useful
while it completes.

But diffs are a lot more time-critical. They usually happen when
investigating some problem, during debugging and troubleshooting, and
interactively, with me anxiously waiting for the diff to show up, sometimes
doing a few in a row. So for me, that's what I want to have /quick/. It is
easily imaginable that a number of developers want this quick, and this is
where mirrored read-only repositories could come handy.

Gerhard