[cvsnt] mirror/synchronize cvs repositories (CVSNTUpd) ?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Nov 29 21:29:25 GMT 2005

Bo Berglund and Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> We're talking about *business* here not a single user working at home. A
>> business that won't invest in its infrastructure isn't going to last
>> very long.
>
> I sure second that!

May be, but believe it or not, but it's not everywhere like you say it is.

What you (Tony) wrote about connections may be true for UK and USA
(probably not all of it), and maybe for Sweden and the rest of the EU
(probably not all of it either) and a few other places, but how do you know
how ADSL works here or elsewhere? I don't have ADSL here at my place, but I
have a cable modem. When I had my cable modem in the USA, I was
disappointed when the transmission rate fell below 3 Mb/s. Now I'm happy as
long as it's above 200 kb/s... ADSL rates have a similar ratio between here
and the USA.

I'm not quite sure why a business should be less serious just because it
may be in an area where there is only dial-up Internet access. I don't know
about you guys, but I distinctly remember that I could do serious work and
write good programs (IMO of course :) before I had Internet access /at
all/.

Let's say a team of developers works in an area where there is no
high-speed access. This is real. Most of the country where I am (Brazil)
does not have high-speed access. Let's say I work with them, and they do
software development for me. I want to be able to review their work and
work with the result, for which I need to be able to have access to the
repository and do diffs, but not necessarily have the latest code every 5
minutes. Updating my mirror once a day is enough, or on request. A cheap
rented server in the USA with a good connection won't help the developers
in the dial-up region a lot. They need a local server to have fast access.
Since they are doing the checkins, that's where their server is. I need the
file history, but rarely if ever actually check anything in. So I have a
read-only mirror of their repository, updated once a day (night). Regarding
the phone cost, I'm not sure why you are applying UK rates; I thought it
was clear that we were /not/ talking about the UK. Here for example there
is a flat rate available for dial-up Internet access in many areas;
available in many more places than there is high-speed access available. So
it's quite possible that they can have their server 24/7 online on a
dial-up connection without excessive phone costs.

Gerhard