[cvsnt] Adding files to Alias branch

Kris Dekeyser kris.dekeyser at lms.be
Tue Oct 4 12:40:57 BST 2005

Hi,

We're using CVSNT 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1927 server on HPUX 11i and client
on Windows XP and HPUX.

We've just released version 6A of our code and I used the alias branching
option to create the development tree for the next release 6B. Currently the
branch is an alias for the HEAD branch. I used:
cvs -d ... rtag -A -r1 -b RELEASE_6B .
The idea is to move the branch to a specific release once we want to start
on release 6C, 7A or whatever and create the next release branch again as an
alias of HEAD.

This means that developers can have their workdirs fixed on RELEASE_6B
branch as of today and they can keep them like this when work on the next
release starts. I think that's how the alias option is meant to be used,
not?

We experienced a nasty side-effect. On a workdir with sticky tag RELEASE_6B
all files point to the latest revision on the main branch and commits are
added to the end it, just as we expected. Any new files added to the
repository in this workdir get an empty file as revision 1.1 and the new
file will be comitted on a branch 1.1.2 named RELEASE_6B. I expected this
revision to be 1.2 on the main branch and have the RELEASE_6B branch as an
alias of the HEAD. The problem is that when the next release starts, these
new files will not be on the main branch and so will not be in the release
either. Painfull and nasty error.

I suspect this to be a bug. Has this been noticed and/or fixed in more
recent versions ?

Best regards,
Kris