[cvsnt] Is it possible to link files from one module to another?

Attila Strba strba at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 13:20:50 BST 2005

Hi everybody,

We are using WinCVS 1.2 in the company,  for version
control of  .NET C++ development projects.

My problem is a little bit complicated, so I try to
explain it a little bit in more detail.

We are using one big repository for all of our
projects, and each project is a modul in our
repository (example repository is REP_PROJECTS and
than the project module is for example
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_CALC_DB).

We are using several universal classes which we use in
our projects. The files of these classes are present
in more differnet projects.
We have also a module just for these universal
classes:
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_UNIERSAL_CLASSES_DB\CVS_NAMEOFTHEUNIVERSALCLASS_DB

When a new project is started, the developer creates a
module for the new project (let's say
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_NEWPROJECT_DB), imports all the files
necessary for the development.
He checkes out the required universal classes (from
the modul REP_PROJECTS\CVS_UNIERSAL_CLASSES_DB\) to
the working folder of the new project.

The developer works with the project, than he commites
it. The  main problem is, that the modul
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_NEWPROJECT_DB does not now, that in
the working folder there are files from the
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_UNIERSAL_CLASSES_DB\ module.
So when a new developer checkes out the
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_NEWPROJECT_DB he has also to check
out the files from the
REP_PROJECTS\CVS_UNIERSAL_CLASSES_DB\. And that is
taking a time.

One solution would be to copy physicali each time the
files from the universal classes to the actual
project, and import them to the actual project modul.
But in such case we loose the TAG and VERSION numbers
from these files, and also they will exist in more
places in the repository. So if someone foudns a bug
in the univerzal class, he would have to actualize the
univerzal class files in each project of the
repository.

So my question is: Is it possible to link somehow
files from one module to another? Without copying it?
Something similar exitst in SourceSafe. I gues it's
also possible in CVSNT but I don't know how.

         Thank you for answer,

                         Attila Strba

Attila Strba
icq:51392698