Fw: [cvsnt] Re: CVSNT incompatibility with older servers

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Oct 12 20:49:43 BST 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:10:34 -0400, bwhicks at aep.com wrote:

>I double checked that my loginfo script does not hang. I have a loginfo
>file with a line that looks like this:
>
>DEFAULT $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/fix_loginfo.sh %s %V %v $CVSROOT
>
>and fix_loginfo.sh looks like this:
>
>#!/bin/bash
>
>(echo ""; id; echo $1 $2 $3; date) >> $4/CVSROOT/commitlog
>
>this essentially does the same thing as the old configuration (the one
>commented out in the default config that we used to use in 2.0.58d) and it
>works on the command line without fail. It also works when doing most cvs
>functions, logging to the commitlog and everything. It fails when I try to
>do a "cvs add" command on a folder. If I replace the loginfo file contents
>with something like:
>
>DEFAULT echo "test"
>
>I see the word "test" show up before a folder gets added.
>
>My questions are, what happens to %s %V and %v when a folder is added? Why
>is the loginfo script being called at all when folders aren't versioned?
>and lastly, can anyone post what they are using for their loginfo script so
>we can compare?

The way CVSMailer does it is to check the last argument to the call
and if this contains the text "- New directory" then it decides that
the call was caused by the addition of a directory and it exits
cleanly.

The call line in my loginfo looks like this (long path removed):
DEFAULT <path to>/CVSMailer.exe -l$CVSPID $USER $CVSROOT %{sVv}

I did once (in 2003 according to the cvs annotations on the source
lines that do the detection work) check up on exactly what CVSNT sends
as the arguments with %{sVv} when a new folder is added, but I have
forgotten what it does now. It definitely was a problem though because
the argument list was different.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)