[cvsnt] Re: Conrtol Panel will not open

Jakob Kruse kruse at kruse-net.dk
Thu Oct 13 17:14:18 BST 2005

"Tony Hoyle" <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote in message
news:dilajn$c4a$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> Jakob Kruse wrote:
>> You are kind of contradicting yourself here Tony, because having
>> libraries in the application directory only works consistently if the
>> application runs from the application directory, which yours (cvsnt.cpl)
>> doesn't.
>
> It does when run from the icon... can't control what the system control
> panel does unfortunately.  It works fine in 99% of installations, and for
> the 1% there's always the menu icon.

The icon installed is not set to start in the CVSNT application dir, so it
starts the applet in the system32 folder (at least it did here until I
modified the shortcut). It's easily fixed though (maybe you did so already?)

>> Requiring - as you do - that the application directory is placed as the
>> very first thing in the system path, only works as long as no other
>> applications with the same requirement is installed. You would need to
>> fix that, making your application as well behaved as you require of other
>> applications below.
>
> I don't require that - it certainly isn't first in my system.

If the application doesn't run from the CVSNT application dir, then it
searches the path for the files it needs. If CVSNT is not the very first
thing in that path, then there's every chance that it will find the wrong
files before the right ones... is what I meant.

To me it makes a whole lot of sense - if it's true that there is no way to
control where a cpl applet searches for it's files when run from the Control
Panel - that all necessary files are placed in the system32 directory. That
is after all the first directory searched. Anything else leads to strange
bugs and ugly hacks. Seeing as iconv.dll apparently exists in many
non-compatible versions, none of which is official (?), maybe it should
never be distributed under the name iconv.dll?

Regards,
Jakob