[cvsnt] Re: virtual branches ?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Oct 14 00:33:40 BST 2005

Prochazka, Jan wrote:
> Wouldn't be possible to specify at the beginning at revision 1.10 a
> "virtual branch" that would become real branch if and only if somebody
> commits to the branch ? Until that, any update of branch B returns HEAD
> of file F, because the real branch not exist yet.

Yes, that's called a floating or 'magic' branch (tag -M).  They're not
as useful as they seem in practice, but the option is there.

> If such a features does not exist, how to handle a case of third party
> libraries, that are used over several developer branches but changing in
> HEAD only ? How to prevent CVS to create their copies per each merge
> form HEAD to any branch and together keep history so if one would like
> to check out historical version from particular branch, he/she would
> obtain the correct revision of the library - the one that used to be
> HEAD at that time.

There seem to me lots of things confused in that paragraph..

3rd party code - use vendor branches/cvs import to track them.

Merging - if the file hasn't changed you won't get a new version on merge.

Obtaining the correct version - on release tag the entire tree with the
release tag.