[cvsnt] Re: putting my changes into newer version files

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Oct 14 16:20:55 BST 2005

douglass_davis at earthlink.net wrote:

> This is from the manual:
> cvs import -m "Import of FSF v. 0.05" fsf/wdiff FSF WDIFF_0_05
>
> I'm not really sure what "fsf/wdiff" is (the documentation doesn't
> say).  I'm guessing fsf is a module and wdiff is a directory??  Or is
> the whole thing supposed to be a module name?  If the first one is
> the true, that seems to imply that i can import code into any where
> in my source tree...

Yes, that is correct.

Actually, both the former and the latter are true as fsf/wdiff is
indeed a module identifier. I for one always import third-party
libraries to a module named "External/ProductName".

You might want to broaden your understanding of the "module" term. A
module really is anything that could be specified as an argument on the
right-hand side of a Checkout command - that includes deeper level
directories in your repository as well as virtual modules and even
individual files (though you couldn't use the latter two as Import
targets).

Thus, valid Import targets are "physical, directory-type module"
identifiers - not just the "root-level module" identifiers you have
probably been thinking about so far.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver