[cvsnt] Re: virtual branches ?

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Mon Oct 17 17:33:02 BST 2005

A few weeks ago I tried the magic branches, on the surface they appear
to work but there were some problems when you dug deeper. I can't
remember what exactly the problems were but they were significant.
I think it had to do with magic branches on top of branches or magic
branches. Also I think that cvs graph and CVSView had problems with them.

I found that I wanted a way to float the branches on command.
I.E. At some point I'm ready to merge the main line code to my branch
but I didn't want to actually create branch revisions for files that had
changed on the main line but not in my branch I just wanted the branch
to float to the head revision for those files.

It looks like WinCVS has a macro to do something like this but I haven't
been able to try it because our old, old server doesn't support the
options the macro uses.

Matt S.