[cvsnt] Re: virtual branches ?

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Tue Oct 18 22:11:58 BST 2005

Surely there is a need for it or else people like me and whomever
implemented the Move Branch to Head macro in WinCVS wouldn't be doing it.

If I remember right if a file changes on the main line but not on a
branch when you do a merge from the mainline to the branch a new
revision is created on the branch that is identical to the revision on
the mainline. In my mind this is wasteful and unnecessary. Plus it makes
it difficult to differentiate changes specific to the purpose for the
branch and changes related to the mainline. Further more when you merge
the branch back to the mainline there are cases where a new revision
will be created on the mainline that is identical to the revision before
it (I know I've tested this and pointed it out to you).

There are people out there using a branch per task (or change set)
pattern (I've seem them post on this message board) and it would be nice
if the tool nicely supported such a pattern.

Matt S.