[cvsnt] group file question

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Wed Oct 19 17:38:23 BST 2005

I've been experimenting with groups and I think I have discovered
something. Someone please tell me if I'm right and possibly what the
reasoning is behind this.

It appears as though the group file must be located in CVSROOT/group, but
if I try to version control the group file like other files in the admin
directory (like CVSROOT/config) it doesn't work. If I put group into my
checked out CVSROOT and cvs add it, it works and is versioned, but doesn't
get automatically checked out in the real repository on the server. If I
add it to the checkoutlist file, it gives an error saying that group will
be skipped. BUT, cvs commands affected by acl's don't become affective
unless a current version of group is in the real repository on the server
(not a ,v file). this basically forces you to log in to the server to make
changes to the group file, while forcing you to manually synch things if
you want to keep group versioned.

Is this correct? Why?

Brian