[cvsnt] Re: virtual branches ?

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Wed Oct 19 17:55:08 BST 2005

Bo, you are close to what I'm asking. What you described is currently
called Magic Branch. The Magic Branch concept does exactly what you
described "auto-magically" each time a new version is checked in to the
HEAD. The problem is just that, it does it automatically you have no
control over when the branch point "floats" to the HEAD and it might
break your branch unexpectedly (not to mention that the implimentation
is somewhat flawed for the corner cases).

I'd like a command (or option to the merge command or option to the
tag/rtag commands) to float (or move) the branch tag (for all the
unbranched files) to the HEAD (or to a user specified tag or date). This
way you have control over when the move happens and you can test it and
ensure that it doesn't break your branch build and you keep the physical
branch (i.e. the list of actually branched files) from being polluted
with changes not relevent to the purpose for the branch.

It could be an option to the tag/rtag command like the -F option, except
it only works on branch tags and it only moves branch tags which have no
revisions on the branch.

Matt S.