[cvsnt] Re: virtual branches ?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Oct 20 00:37:05 BST 2005

Matt Schuckmann wrote:

> I'd like a command (or option to the merge command or option to the
> tag/rtag commands) to float (or move) the branch tag (for all the
> unbranched files) to the HEAD (or to a user specified tag or date).

How about this... Since there is no easy way to get the branch point later
on, most people probably will tag the parent branch (HEAD in your case) at
the branch point.

After you created this tag (so to speak your baseline), you update your
sandbox to this /tag/ (notice that there is no branch yet). Now you branch
the files you want to work on -- and /only/ these. All the other files
remain on the tag (and therefore unaltered).

When you notice that you need to include a file into your working set, you
have to branch it first. That's the drag with this procedure.

When you want to get some new revisions from the parent branch into your
baseline, you just move the tag (of course only for files that haven't been
branched yet). Full control about when and which files.

The only thing here is that you mustn't forget to branch a file before
working on it.

Gerhard