[cvsnt] Re: Update to branchpoint (was: Re: virtual branches?)

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Oct 20 08:27:42 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org]On Behalf
Of Flávio Etrusco
Sent: den 20 oktober 2005 08:29
Cc: cvsnt at cvsnt.org cvsnt downloads at march-hare.com @CVSNT on Twitter CVSNT on Facebook
Subject: Re: [cvsnt] Re: Update to branchpoint (was: Re: virtual
branches?)

> >BTW,  why isn't there a command to do update to a branchpoint?
> >

> This was discussed before, but there are a number of problems that
> make it not so obvious what to do for cvs.
> So the safe way is actually to tag the state you branch oiff from,
> update to that tag and then branch. And put the tag name you start
> from as a part of the branch tag name so you can easily deduce it
> later...
>

> /Bo
> (Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)

Actually, I wondered about that question almost ever since I've used
CVS, and never found anything on the web (AKA google :-P ) and never
saw any comment about it here.

If CVS is aware of the branchpoint for merging purposes, I can't
imagine what could be the problem to implement the update.
Sure, one will have to provide two branch names in the command - or
assume HEAD as one of them - but I certainly find this better than
pollute the tag list uselessly.

-Flávio

I agree, and I don't remember the objections right off now.
There should really be a way to update a branch to the starting point
and I think this is technically real simple because all of the files
that are on the branch have an entry in the symbol table where the
branch tag name is given and the current revision is also there as
in these examples:

demodb:1.42.0.4  (this has received 3 commits to it as 1.42.4.1 to 1.42.4.3)
ManualScanning_Test:1.44.0.2  (this file has not been touched on the branch)

As one can see the tag info contains a revision number with a 0 embedded,
and I believe that the numbers preceding the zero is actually the revision
of the file when the branch was created.

So how hard can it be to make an update command that moves the current
revision for all files on the branch to the revision that started the
branch? Seems not tobe insurmountable at all.

And it sure would be good if one has to make another branch off the
same place to test another approach to the problem...