[cvsnt] Re: Does CVS support Linked files?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Oct 24 01:52:20 BST 2005

Brian,

Can you re-org your project so that the "common" files are at least in a
directory by themselves?

Then you could use the modules system...

I'm certainly not a fan of encouraging people to alter their project
structure based on the limitations of a tool however I have a suspicion
that it is better business practice to place common files in a common
directory.  My reasoning is that the common code is often maintained by
a different person/team than specific project work - so if you don't
want them breaking your app then it's better placed in a separate
location.  If different projects may need to use different versions that
could be supported by a common structure too, eg:

Test/Common/1.0
Test/Common/1.1
Test/Common-Latest (is the same as 1.1 through an alias tag)
Test/Web
Test/RBB

I think noone would object to you submitting a modification to CVS to
support "Shared Files" as per SourceSafe, however I suspect it will be
very difficult to implement in CVS 2.5.x.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett