[cvsnt] Syncing of 2 CVSNT repositories

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Oct 25 00:32:21 BST 2005

Shashi,

> I have asked the same question once again because i didn't got the
full answer .

Please carefully read the FAQs about posting to this list for support.
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp

In particular "Is There Free Support?":
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#2z

And very importantly "Noone answered my question on the newsgroup !"
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#2za

Visual SourceSafe does not provide multiple synchronised servers and it
does not provide full function HTTP clients so I don't understand what
these questions have to do about the subject of migrating from VSS.

CVSNT is designed to provide a reliable and secure method to version
files and be used over Wide and Local area networks.  You are looking
for technical solutions when it is my opinion you should be looking for
business solutions.

Eg 1: people who have used sourcesafe want synchronised servers because
they expect the servers to crash and corrupt the version history
regularly - that is a technical fault of VSS that most SCM systems
including CVS do not suffer from.

Eg 2: people who have used sourcesafe want a client that will work over
a Wide area network such as the internet because VSS cannot - again:
HTTP is not a solution for this - there are several solutions but HTTP
is the least useful and least efficient.

I strongly suggest that you forget technical problems and instead focus
on the business problem you are trying to solve, eg:
* reliability
* work from remote locations

Ie: rather than saying you are looking for a Car with a V12 engine
because that is the only way you think you can get from Paris to London
in 4 hours, ask instead "what is the fastest way to get from Paris to
London?".

Finally if you have a business requirement for synchronised servers
and/or custom clients you should have a manager contact March Hare (who
develop CVSNT) for a quote - and based on your available budget and your
business requirements we can offer several solutions.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett