[cvsnt] Re: static file

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Oct 25 08:05:37 BST 2005

Olaf Groeger wrote:

> No, Tony, the status is modified. Modified in the sandbox, because i
> changed the file. But the frontends consider it as uptodate=*not*
> modified.

Because it *is* up to date. Different, maybe, if you've got local
changes, but it's up to date.

 > So if i activate the flat mode in WinCVS to see modified files, the
 > modified static file is not shown.

That's an issue for WinCVS if they want to have an option to show them..
nothing to do with the files themselves.

A static file is effectively outside version control... it's a template,
for things like global configuration files (that get modified frequently
by developers).  The cvsnt repository has some dummy makefiles that are
marked static - because autoconf overwrites them and I want my versions
not the generated ones.

You should not *care* about the state of a static file.  If the state
matters to you then it sounds like you've misunderstood what they're for.