[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Audit Error with Viewcvs

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Oct 25 17:46:43 BST 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:27:57 +0200, "Bo Berglund"
<Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote:

>I will have a look when I get home tonight. I have both the very latest
>CVSNT and a fairly current ViewCvs installed on my test PC. And auditing
>is enabled on this server.
>
>Should not be that difficult to figure out what is happening if I see
>the same messages.
>But one thing here:
>ViewCvs is currently using cvs.exe in order to parse the RCS files.
>It is not done via the client/server interface, instead ViewCvs goes
>directly to cvs.exe and tells it to parse the file. I think that maybe
>cvsnt might be auditing all calls to cvs, not only teh ones coming in
>on the client/server interface and this causes the problem.
>But then again, there might be no problems when I look at home...
>
>/Bo

Now back home on my PC running ViewCvs 1.0-dev(2005-05-18) against a
repository managed by CVSNT 2.5.03.2130 and using Apache as webserver.

I can confirm that the extra text gets there into the ViewCvs output
but not for everything:

Annotate looks just fine.
Download, Diff and View shows the file contents followed by a number
of lines like these:
Format = Insert Into %sSessionLog (Command, Date, Hostname, Username,
SessionId, VirtRepos, PhysRepos, Client) Values
('%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s')
Argument 7 is null

The operations that result in the extra info in the ViewCvs output are
also logged in the sessionlog as called with Command "rcsfile".
One such record (extracted with Query Analyzer):

16	rcsfile	2005-10-25 16:32:35.000	POLARIS	SYSTEM
1f4435e5e236175	(null)		CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2130

So it seems like having auditing switched on will send extra
unexpected information back to ViewCvs on its call to cvs using
rcsfile as parameter.

Could not CVSNT switch off auditing for calls with this parameter?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)