[cvsnt] Re: What is required for server to pickup updated CVSROOTinformatiion.

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Oct 28 13:13:35 BST 2005

I think you misunderstood my question.
I use modules definitions fro virtual modules that *include* common files
below the top module folder (using ampersand modules). Thus I have many
instances of the same common files in different modules. A module might
check out only 2-3 files from a common folder and another 3-4 overrlapping
or separate files as needed by that module.

When we tag the project we do it from the top level of the virtual module
sandbox and it will tag all the files including the ones sitting in the
common folders. But we only tag the files in common that are actually used
by the module and thus checked out for this module.
This works well.

If a modification is done to a specific file in one project then a simple
update in the other project will retrieve the new revision. But this is
controlled by the developer. He might not want to include these changes
just yet so he puts off the update.
When he tags the module then he will tag exactly what he used for his own
state and he is not affected by changes in another project until he updates.

Also we make sure not to pollute a lot of files not part of a specific
project with project related tags.

So what I asked about is why you state that a virtual module cannot be tagged
using a regular tag command from teh sandbox?

/Bo