[cvsnt] Multiple CVSNT Instances

Trevor Leybourne trevor.leybourne at aderant.com
Sun Oct 30 23:00:59 GMT 2005

Is it possible to run multiple CVSNT instances on the same server with each
instance managing a different set of Repositories?

We have a single multiprocessor server running a single CVSNT instance which
manages about 15 separate repositories. The issue we have is our IT
department want to ensure a clean backup is taken each night and shut down
CVSNT to perform the backup which currently takes between 1 and 2 hours.
Since we are a global development shop, this isn't very helpful to our
developers.

If we could run say 5 separate CVSNT instances (and I assume 5 LockServer
instances as well?), each one managing separate sets of repositories, we
could setup the backup processes to only shutdown part of the server, backup
those repositories and restart. It would bring each individual repositorys'
backup time down to 10-15 minutes max (much more manageable) and allow us to
stagger when different repositories are backed up (ie: the ones most used by
the US for example would backup during US nightime while the NZ/AU
repositories would backup during NZ/AU nighttime).

Any ideas or thoughts?

Trevor