[cvsnt] Multiple CVSNT Instances

Trevor Leybourne trevor.leybourne at aderant.com
Mon Oct 31 23:54:15 GMT 2005

Hey Bo,

We are doing (almost) exactly what you are indicating below. I just re-read
and noticied your point on only CHANGED files. I'll go and talk to our IT
guys.

The problem is the number of files. Currently we have over 175,000 files
spread of 12,000 folders in our 15 repositories and we've only been going in
CVS for a few months. The copy is taking around 1 hour but has been as long
as 2.5 hours and we are copying from one partition to another on the SAN
which is on a 1GB fibre channel card.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Trevor

"Bo Berglund" <Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote in message
news:mailman.4.1130761965.8612.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
I don't think it is easily done to tweak CVSNT into becoming a multiple
server system.
However, I don't feel it is even necessary in reality.

What you could do instead is this:

1. Set up a scheduled task for refreshing a "shadow" repository.

2. The task should run a command file (batch) which contains an xcopy

3. The xcopy command should copy the entire repository tree over to a
   different part of the same disk or to a separate disk on the server
   PC. Note: don't copy over the network because you will not get the
   speed you want.

4. The xcopy parameters should be set to only copy *changed* files (where
   the archive attribute has been set, and reset the attribute afterwards)

5. Before and after the xcopy you should put a *net stop cvs' and 'net start
cvs'
   command to ensure that no file changes happen during your xcopy operation
   and that no files are locked when you want to copy them.

6. Direct your nightly backup system to back up the shadow repository
instead
   of the real one.

The first time around you will have to copy everything of course and this
should
probably be done with manual monitoring. It will take longer than the
scheduled
refresh because there simply are more files to handle. Once done you only
need
to handle changed files in teh future.

I have a system similar to this in place on one of my servers and it works
real good.

/Bo