[cvsnt] Re: cvs never exits after script errors...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Sep 7 06:53:39 BST 2005

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:16:03 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I first tried a cvs log command and it started but returned the output
>> "script execution error" or the like. And WinCvs (from which I ran the
>> cvs log command) did not get focus back until I clicked the red stop
>> button to abort the execution.
>
>Can you do this from the command line?
>
>I create script errors all the time (not always deliberately either) and
>have never had that problem, but I don't use frontends these days.

Yes, I just did so by doing this:

1) Edited the postcommand file directly and changed the path to
CVSMailer to a non-existing one:
DEFAULT C:/F2/Engineering/Projects/CVSMailer/CVSMailer.exe -p$CVSPID
$USER $CVSROOT %c
(dir C:\F2 does not exist)

2) On a command prompt in the sandbox I issued cvs log:
F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX>cvs log SecondFile.txt

RCS file: /KORVkiosk/ModuleXX/SecondFile.txt,v
Working file: SecondFile.txt
head: 1.26
<.. snip ..>
Now testing direct sending
Script execution failed

3) Now cvs is hung and I have to enter Ctrl-C:
cvs [log aborted]: received interrupt signal

F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX>

4) After regaining the command prompt I used TaskManager to see the
processes and sure enough I found a cvs.exe remaining active (owned by
SYSTEM)

5) Editing the postcommand file back again and then repeating the
above steps cleared the problem, no hung cvs.exe created anymore.
Of course the existing one I had to kill off manually.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)