[cvsnt] Re: Unknown escape character '\C' ignored

Björn L bigbear at home.se
Wed Sep 7 18:52:09 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:18:11 +0200, Björn L <bigbear at home.se> wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>When I'm trying to commit to my cvs I get the following:
>>------------------
>>In C:\jobb\code\Engine: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q"
>>"commit" "-m" "" "TODO.txt"
>>CVSROOT=:pserver:username at computer-ip:/CVSROOT
>>
>>Checking in TODO.txt;
>>/CVSROOT/Engine/TODO.txt,v  <--  TODO.txt
>>new revision: 1.4; previous revision: 1.3
>>done
>>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>>Unknown escape character '\C' ignored.
>>Script execution failed
>>------------------
>>where username is my username and computer-ip is changed to the ip to my
>>cvs-computer.
>>
>>I read that "unknown escape character"-error could arise when using
>>backslash instead of forward slash in the *info-files in CVSROOT. But
>>none of them contains a backslash as far as I can see.
>>
>>Does anyone have a clue what could cause this error?
>>

>What do you have in your CVSROOT/loginfo script?
>And what is in the CVSROOT/postcommand script?

 From a newly checked out version of the two files you're asking about:
The content of loginfo is (between --- and ---)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:
# The "loginfo" file controls where "cvs commit" log information
# is sent.  The first entry on a line is a regular expression which must
match
# the directory that the change is being made to, relative to the
# $CVSROOT.  If a match is found, then the remainder of the line is a filter
# program that should expect log information on its standard input.
#
# If the repository name does not match any of the regular expressions
in this
# file, the "DEFAULT" line is used, if it is specified.
#
# If the name ALL appears as a regular expression it is always used
# in addition to the first matching regex or DEFAULT.
#
# You may specify a format string as part of the
# filter.  The string is composed of a '%' followed
# by a single format character, or followed by a set of format
# characters surrounded by '{' and '}' as separators.  The format
# characters are:
#
#   s = file name
#   V = old version number (pre-checkin)
#   v = new version number (post-checkin)
#
# For example:
#DEFAULT (echo ""; id; echo %s; date; cat) >> $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog
# or
#DEFAULT (echo ""; id; echo %{sVv}; date; cat) >> $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog

and the postcommand-file

# The "postcommand" file is run after a cvs command has finished.
# The filter on the right is invoked with the repository name and
# the name of the command that has been executed.
#
# The first entry on a line is a regular expression which is tested
# against the directory that the change is being committed to, relative
# to the $CVSROOT.  For the first match that is found, then the remainder
# of the line is the name of the filter to run.
#
# If the repository name does not match any of the regular expressions
in this
# file, the "DEFAULT" line is used, if it is specified.
#
# If the name "ALL" appears as a regular expression it is always used
# in addition to the first matching regex or "DEFAULT".

>If any of these contain references to a program where a path specifier
>is used it might result in this if you use backslashes. But only if
>one of the folders or the actual program starst with a C.
>Maybe you use my CVSMailer? In that case the loginfo file might look
>like this:

Yes, I installed CVSMailer but I removed it when I didn't get it to work
the first time to try and reinstall it. Then I got this escape
character- error.

>DEFAULT C:\Programs\CVSMailer\CVSMailer.exe ....
>And here you get the error due to the folder and file start. Change
>this to:
>DEFAULT C:/Programs/CVSMailer/CVSMailer.exe ....
>and you should be good to go.
>

>BTW, which version of CVSNT are you using on the server?

I'm using version 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2064