[cvsnt] Connecting to CVSNT Server via VPN

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Sep 7 23:18:46 BST 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:05:07 -0400, "Worth Robbins"
<wrobbins at macoun.com> wrote:

>Let me narrow the focus of my question. I had already decided not to try
>using sspi over VPN, because of advice regarding limited authentication.

Advice from whom?
In my book SSPI is to be preferred anyday over pserver because of
authentication and security issues...

>I only want to be able to make pserver work. When I am locally connected, the
>connection string
>
>:pserver:cvsuser at pc325:/cvsrepo
>
>works fine.
>
>When connected via VPN, this doesn't work, even though I am able to ping
>pc325 and am able to access various network shares.

Network shares are of no concern here, the only valid thing is the
access to the TCP port 2401 via your firewall. Maybe the VPN people
have put in a policy to not allow port 2401 calls to propagate through
the firewall?
It does not make sense to me, but it could be so anyway. Or otherwise
if you are on XP-Pro SP2 the IT people may have put a policy in place
on your PC that activates Windows firewall whenever you are not
locally connected and it is set to block 2401...

>I have also tried substituting the ip address i.e.
>
>:pserver:cvsuser at 192.168.0.5:/cvsrepo
>
>This also works connected locally but not via VPN.

The name is resolved into an address by the DNS service. If that is
working so you can ping the server by name then you should not have to
change this at all.

>What else, other than being able to access the server node by name or IP
>address, is there that could be causing a problem?

A block on port 2401 somewhere.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)