[cvsnt] Connecting to CVSNT Server via VPN

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Sep 8 06:36:56 BST 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:22:18 -0400, "Worth Robbins"
<wrobbins at macoun.com> wrote:

>I am the IT people, and I know this isn't the case. In fact, I specifically
>opened TCP ports 2401 and 2402 on both the XP box running CVSNT and on the
>laptop running TortoiseCVS. I only mentioned the network shares as evidence
>that, at least at the node level, to laptop can see the server, enough to
>ping it and enough to mount a share it publishes.

No need to open anything for port 2402, that port is only used locally
for the lockserver on the CVSNT server. No external use is active.

>There's another possibility I could try. What if I port forwarded 2401 at
>the firewall to the CVSNT box, and had Tortoise pointing at the external
>address of the firewall. Should that work?

Yes, it will (when the PC is on the outside of course). I have a CVSNT
server for my own development set up on a W2K PC on my home LAN. I am
connected to Internet via ADSL and I have a hardware router/firewall
to manage the network IP addresses via DHCP. On that box I have opened
port 2401 and pointing it through to the CVSNT server.
On my laptop (the one I use when I travel) I have set up the HOSTS
file to contain an entry with the CVSNT server name and the external
IP address.
With :sspi:user at server:/repo syntax this works just fine.
Note that wne you use sspi with the user at server syntax you have to do
a cvs login once in order to validate your credentials. After
successful login the CVSNT *client* on your laptop will save the
needed password in the registry (encrypted) and use it whenever you
operate on the same connection string in the future.

The Symantec people probably only knew about CVSNT from 3-4 years ago
before the SSPI protocol was introduced. At that time CVSNT used the
:ntserver: protocol, which needs full NETBIOS access with all of the
ports open on which Microsoft sends all kinds of extra info over. For
example poert 139, which no sane admin ever allows on the Internet.

>Again I apologize for so many naive/newbie questions, and I really
>appreciate patience helping me get this going.

No need apologizing...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)