[cvsnt] modules2 woes..

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Sep 10 09:21:35 BST 2005

I am still at it trying to get modules2 understood...
Some things work just fine whereas others don't (or I have completely
misunderstood the helpfile docs).

1. I have gotten this to work:
[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

It gets me one file into the root of MickeyMouse and one subdir
Charlie with files.
Note that a similar thing one folder down does not work (see items 6
and 7 below).

2. But this does not work:
[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
ModuleYY/SpecialFiles
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

I expected to get the same as above but also the full
ModuleYY/SpecialFiles dir. Instead I got this:

cvs server: Updating MickeyMouse
cvs.exe checkout: move away MickeyMouse/ModuleYYdoc.txt; it is in the
way
C MickeyMouse/ModuleYYdoc.txt
cvs server: Updating MickeyMouse/Charlie
cvs.exe checkout: move away MickeyMouse/Charlie/AnotherTestFile.txt;
it is in the way
C MickeyMouse/Charlie/AnotherTestFile.txt
cvs.exe checkout: move away MickeyMouse/Charlie/SecondFileSrc.txt; it
is in the way
C MickeyMouse/Charlie/SecondFileSrc.txt
cvs.exe checkout: move away MickeyMouse/Charlie/source.txt; it is in
the way
C MickeyMouse/Charlie/source.txt
cvs server: Updating MickeyMouse/ModuleYY
cvs server: Updating MickeyMouse/ModuleYY/SpecialFiles
U MickeyMouse/ModuleYY/SpecialFiles/Specialsource.txt

Why???

3. This works but does not produce the directory levels I wanted
above:

[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
John = ModuleYY/SpecialFiles
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

Now the SpecialFiles are extracted to John

4. This also works but gets me too much:
[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
John = ModuleYY
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

John now contains everything from ModuleYY

5. This gives me intermediate dirs:
[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
John/SpecialFiles = ModuleYY/SpecialFiles
John/Source = ModuleZZ/Source
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

6. Now I also wanted a file into John:
[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
John = ModuleZZ/TestFolder3 (ATestFile.txt)
John/SpecialFiles = ModuleYY/SpecialFiles
John/Source = ModuleZZ/Source
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

But this was a showstopper! John now is created with the
ATestFile.txt, but there is no trace of John/SpecialFiles or
John/Source!!

7. So I changed the spec to put all files from TestFolder3 into John:
[MickeyMouse]
/ = ModuleYY (ModuleYYDoc.txt)
John = ModuleZZ/TestFolder3
John/SpecialFiles = ModuleYY/SpecialFiles
John/Source = ModuleZZ/Source
Charlie = ModuleXX/Source

But the result is the same, no trace of the other two subdirs!!

Apparently there are some hidden limitations concerning what can and
cannot be done here, but I fail to see the logic.

Also note that having ! as in / = !ModuleXX effectively blocks all
other checkouts to happen....
This is contrary to the helpfile...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)