[cvsnt] ACL: anyone use?!

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Sep 14 00:07:35 BST 2005

Gennady,

> Nobody need ACL?

ACL's work great and we use them all the time.

Your test set is invalid since it denies read access on a file in a
directory where the users do have read access.  The documentation
previously was not clear on this issue but now clearly states that ACL's
are designed to be applied to directories - not individual files.

The worst case scenario is protected (ie: the ACL denies write access
then the server does deny write access).  In fact in our testing yours
is the only scenario which fails.  If a user should not have read access
to a file then the same users should not have access to the directory it
is in.

If you require deny read ACL on a file that resides in a directory which
allows read to cause the file to be skipped on checkout then we would
welcome a patch from you - or your organisation could pay support to one
of several companies who could make this change.

Regards,

Arthur