[cvsnt] 2.0.11 to 2.5.02 Upgrade problem

Stephen Kovanchak SKovanch at SkyStream.com
Thu Sep 15 22:51:29 BST 2005

Hello,

We have been using cvsnt 2.0.11 since it was the most recent version.

I have been attempting to upgrade to 2.5.02.  I have tried builds 2064
and 2091 and both exhibit the same problem.

The problem is this:
Installing 2.5.02 and setting it up results in the repository working
for check-outs/viewing/diffing/etc historical revisions but does not
work when using tags:

For example, the command:
 "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "-r" "1.3" "-d"
"temp" "zBand/Typhoon/Utilities/Dictionary/SDictionaryEditor.cpp"
CVSROOT=:pserver:XXXXXX at XXXXXXX:/CVS_Repository

Works just fine, but:
"C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "-r"
"ZSV01-5-0-0-0222" "-d" "temp"
"zBand/Typhoon/Utilities/Dictionary/SDictionaryEditor.cpp"
CVSROOT=:pserver:XXXXX at XXXXX:/CVS_Repository

Fails with:
cvs server: could not read RCS file for SDictionaryEditor.cpp
cvs [server aborted]: no such tag ZSV01-5-0-0-0222
cvs.exe checkout: in directory .:
cvs.exe checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or
directory

despite revision "1.3" and tag "ZSV01-5-0-0-0222" being the same
version.

All our operations involving tags fail.

I have tried 2.5.02 on our existing cvs server as well as another
machine that has never had CVS on it ever and the result is the same.

If I revert back to version 2.0.11, all operations involving tags start
working again.

Any help is appreciated.