[cvsnt] Re: Can't install on AMD k6 2 processor

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Sep 20 01:49:47 BST 2005

Alexandre O'Hara wrote:
> well, apache server, mysql and ftp runs very well on it. So I don't know why
> a CVS would not too. I'm having 0-2 users at the same time. It's just a
> server for little webhosting for some wepages and homeworks at university.
>
> I've been able to install a previous version (such as 2.0.x.x) but I had
> like to install last version.
>
> P.S. AMD k6-2 is better than Pentium Pro that is the minimum requirement.

The k6-2 identifies itself as an original pentium (although it has
performance around that of an early pentium II) - presumably because of
its instruction support... it's debatable whether it's better than a Pro.

It's generally not worth supporting a machine that old (7 years old
now)... you might be able to get it working but there have been
compatibility issues reported in the past.

I'm surprised you got XP running on it TBH... often motherboards of the
day couldn't address more than 64mb without taking a huge performance
hit (which wasn't great to start with), and they couldn't address large
hard drives.