[cvsnt] Re: Can't install on AMD k6 2 processor

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Sep 20 15:26:02 BST 2005

Alexandre O'Hara wrote:

> I'm really troubled to see people who believe in open source and free
> program ideology that tell others to buy a new computer insteed of trying to
> understand the situation...

All the support you get with opensource software is done by volunteers
who are giving up their time.  If you want to support a version that
runs on the K6 then you are free to do so... I can't as I don't have
such hardware and even the secondhand shops have stopped selling it.

Windows 95 has the same issue (in fact I've removed support for it from
2.6.x as it'd be quite a job to backport all the libraries & I have
enough on my place).  It's not practical to support everything forever.

You should be able to pick up a P3 motherboard for free or almost free -

For example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentium-III-500mhz-CPU-Motherboard_W0QQitemZ6802431936QQcategoryZ51162QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£6 (about $10) plus postage.