[cvsnt] Re: Cvsroot on network share

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Sep 21 19:10:01 BST 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:23:30 -0600, "McCullough, Ryan"
<rmccullough at rightnow.com> wrote:

>This is a resend.
>
>To start off with, I have spent the last 2 hours searching through the
>archived mailing list and cant find a solution to my problem.
>
>We have a mixed environment. Our product was originally written soley on Linux
>and now we are transferring to a windows .NET forms architecture. Our source
>will be split 50/50 on windows and unix going forward.
>
>Previously, our cvsroot looked something like /net/source/cvs. This path is
>shared via samba at \\sambaserver\net\source\cvs.
>
>I have tortoise CVS installed on the machine. The version of cvs installed
>with tortoise is 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2064.
>
>I want to checkout where the repository is a network share and the destination
>is on my local disk. I installed CVSNT because I could not get tortoise
>working unless I used :ext:. I could not get :ext: working from the command
>line.
>
>When I try to do the checkout I get something like this:
>C:\Program Files\CVSNT>cvs "-N" "-d" "\\sambaserver\net\source\cvs" "-q"
>"export" "-r" "<branch>" "<module>"
>cvs export: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No connection could
>be made because the target machine actively refused it.
>
>cvs [export aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server
>
>Here is what I get when I try to use :ext:
>C:\Program Files\CVSNT>cvs "-d" ":ext:user at linuxserver:/net/source/cvs" "-q"
>"export" "-r" "<branch>" "<module>"
>' from cvs serverng: unrecognized response `'ssh' is not recognized as an
>internal or external command,
>' from cvs serverng: unrecognized response `operable program or batch file.
>cvs [export aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
>
>Your help is appreciated.
>
>PS, a forum like phpBB would be really nice since it would make searching for
>help much easier.

So you are a group of people working on a project 50/50 on Windows and
Unix. This implies that you are more than one person involved in this
and therefore your whole setup is WRONG!!

You should select either a Linux/Unix or a Windows PC to be the CVS
server. Then you should install the CVSNT service on this PC and move
the repository files to this PC as well. It *must* reside on a local
disk on the chosen server.
Next you can set up a backup system to make sure the repository files
get backed up to tape regularly. This is very simple to do since CVS
is entirely file based.

On the CVSNT control panel (Windows) you add the repository to the
list of repositories managed by the server and then you start the
service.

Now on the client side on Windows the users should check out the
modules from the server, preferably using the :sspi: protocol. This is
easily accomplished using WinCvs and possibly also uaing Tortoise
(even though I have not used Tortoise).

On the client side on Unix there is unfortunately not such a great
selection of GUI tools for CVS work. gCVS exists but is in a fleeting
state with no active development, so the Unix users will have to learn
the cvs command line commands (not really very hard, normally only a
few are ever used).

The important thing to remember here is that the Unix people *must*
use a unix cvs client (for example cvsnt, which also exists as a unix
program) and the Windows users *must* use a Windows cvs client.
And the respsctive sandboxes must not ever be on network shares, they
belong on local hard drives.

If you do this I think you will be just fine.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)