[cvsnt] Re: Cvsroot on network share

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Sep 21 23:20:10 BST 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:51:45 -0600, "McCullough, Ryan"
<rmccullough at rightnow.com> wrote:

>ok, I tried the ":local:" protocol with slashes both ways but it is still
>looking for a local cvs server:
>
>C:\Prototypes>"c:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" -N -d
>":local:\\sapphire\nfs\src\cvsroot" co dotnet
>cvs.exe checkout: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No connection
>could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
>cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server

The server it is trying to connect to is the *lockserver* service.
This is a part of CVSNT that is obviously not running since you don't
run a CVS server either. For local access obviously it must not be
used. But for this to happen it must be configured in the
CVSROOT/config file *not* to use the lockserver in this case.
You have to edit the proper entry there to switch to file based locks.

>Btw, cvsroot is just the root of the cvs repository. Under it is a CVSROOT
>folder containing the admin files and then all of the other directories
>holding the source.

OK...

>Ok, if you do not wish to help further with the :local: method (which if its

I am supplying advice on my free time, I am not forced by anyone and I
will not accept requirements from anyone that I must advice either.
This is an opensource community and you get the help you ask for if
you follow the rules and advice you get.
In this case the main advice is to install and use a proper server.

>not supported why is it available??)

The :local: protocol is available and working, but it is intended for
single user operation on a *local* PC with noone else attached. This
is not your case and therefore we are insisting on the fact that you
need to install the server...

> then how about the :ext: method. How
>come the :ext: method from the command line fails but works with a gui
>client like tortoisecvs?

The GUI clients use in some cases other cvs exe files than the ones
available on your path. Tortoise may well have installed some other
cvs.exe outside your path and is internally pointing its calls there.
I don't know this but it is a definite possibility. WinCvs has a
setting where one can freely switch between any number of cvs
executables one may have available. I do this often during testing.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)