[cvsnt] Re: Binary files are imported as text files (CVSNT 2.5.02 #2096)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Sep 23 18:12:57 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Thomas Singer wrote:
>
>> It worked in CVSNT 2.0.58d and still works in any half-decent GNU CVS
>> version, so I guess it is a newly introduced incompatibility in CVSNT
>> 2.5.*.

 From the source code comments (inherited from the original 1.10.8 code):

    /* Note that as the code stands now, the -k option overrides any
        settings in wrappers (whether CVSROOT/cvswrappers, -W, or
        whatever).  Some have suggested this should be the other way
        around.  As far as I know the documentation doesn't say one way
        or the other.  Before making a change of this sort, should think
        about what is best, document it (in cvs.texinfo and NEWS), &c. */

The cvs documentation also states that it applies to all new files.
Changing this would break backward compatibility and be extremely
non-obvious.