[cvsnt] Re: Help setting up anonymous access within a domain

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Sep 28 17:15:52 BST 2005

Matthew Beermann wrote:
> I'm about at my wits' end for setting up anonymous access, even after reading all the FAQs and such. Here's the situation:

Anonymous access is normally done using pserver.

> My server is running on a machine that is part of a domain, and is authenticating usernames against that domain. Which works fine. I'd like to add anonymous access. The trick is, I can create local accounts, but not without passwords - the domain forbids it. I've tried various combinations of (in CVSROOT):

Domain settings shouldn't matter, since it'll use the old setuid trick
(that old server didn't have the LSA helper, which means it won't work
on Win2003 or XP SP2, but should on other systems).

> file passwd:
> anonymous::
> anonymous::localuser
> anonymous::machinename\localuser

Looks fine, just alias the anonymous user to a local user.