[cvsnt] problem with "author"

Lucioni Lorenzo Lorenzo.Lucioni at sinfopragma.it
Thu Sep 29 08:29:27 BST 2005

hello,
i'm a new subscriber.

i had problem with my subscription so Bo Berglund posted a message upon
my request. thanks to him.
i'm now on the list and i would re-post the same question, trying to
better describe my problem.

CVSNT 2.5.02 (Servalan) build 2088
cvsnt client and server on winXP
protocol used: pserver

on server I invoked the following:
set CVSROOT=/cvs/repos1
cvs passwd -a cvs_user
cvs passwd -r windows_user cvs_user
that means, if im' not mistaken, 'cvs_user' are able to log-in to
repository (using its own password) and he has access in write mode
(needed to commit) because he is associated with an existing windows
user (windows_user).

CVS_ROOT become:
:pserver:user1 at pc173:2401:/repos1

and all works well (with the exception of the following problem).

i have this problem: when I get logs for a file I see that all commits
are saved as I did them as windows_user and not cvs_user.
i created more than one cvs user (cvs_user1, cvs_user2, cvs_user3 ...
all associated to the windows user "windows_user") and commiting a
modified file by all of these different users, the file seems to be
modified by the same user: "windows_user".

how could I do to trace different users?
of course i wouldn't create a real windows user for each cvs user.

look at the followin CVS log for a file and pay attention to the
"author" field (it should be "cvs_user1", "cvs_user2", ... instead of
the same "windows_user")

thanks in advance,
Lorenzo

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
Rcs file : '/cvs/reposes/repos1/dir1/file1.txt,v'
Working file : 'file1.txt'
Head revision : 1.5
Branch revision :
Locks : strict