[cvsnt] Unwanted translated socket error message

adah at sh163.net adah at sh163.net
Fri Sep 30 04:47:36 BST 2005

I was often annoyed by the rubbish error message if a network error
occurred.  (Well, not really rubbish error messages, but Chinese messages
in a context that does not like Chinese, e.g., a CP437 console, or a
UTF-8 Vim.)  Now I downloaded the CVSNT 2.5.02.2099 source and found
out the reason.  It is in the file src/supr.cpp, where sock_strerror is
defined to gai_strerrorA.  May I suggest to remove the use of
gai_strerrorA and use a manual mapping?  I think the returned localized
string is OK to use in another non-Unicode Win32 API like MessageBoxA,
but not in a console program where pipelining is normal and the context
is not necessarily the same as the `ANSI' code page.

I know this may cause some troubles to manually make the mappings, but
CVS is already doing this way, in windows-NT/sockerror.c.

How do you gurus think about it?

Best regards,

Yongwei