[cvsnt] 2.0.58d/mergepoints

David Hauck davidh at netacquire.com
Fri Sep 30 18:44:15 BST 2005

Hi Tony,

I'm currently using the 2.0.58d cvsnt client and server and would like to
leverage its support for mergepoints. Are there any caveats associated with
this feature in 2.0.58d that you might alert me to?

I often perform test merges for the types of merges I'm about to execute,
and simply delete the result prior to commit if things don't look right
(some of our branches have significantly diverged so there are usually
manual portions to the merge that inevitably occur - i.e., manually merging
common files that exist in different directories between branches). However,
in this case there are a number of different merge commands I could attempt
in order to minimize the manual aspects and I'd like to try to find one
that's most appropriate. Leveraging mergepoints would seem to help.

In particular, this time I'd like to leverage the CVSNT mergpoint support in
order to eliminate the need to specify a common ancestor for the merge. I'll
be merging from the HEAD into a first-level branch and could like to perform
this with something like: cvs -q up -k-v -j HEAD. Ideally I'd like to merge
the head into branch with a fixed tag on the head, but some documentation
I've seen says that this wouldn't work correctly for merging added/removed
files. Is this accurate?

Another aspect of the branch is that it (branch #1) has previously been
received several merges from another branch (branch #2); this other branch
(#2) has also been merged into the head, but this will be the first time the
head is merged into branch #1. I'm hoping the use of mergepoints will
prevent problems related to conflicts associated with brach #2 being merged
into both branch #1 and the head, prior to the head being merged into branch
#1.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!

-David